In September 1940 had occurred the test of the small navy tender ship in Brooklyn. Al Bielek and his brother Duncan had returned to Project Rainbow in January 1942. (Background: Our Friend, The Ether (Part 27), Ersjdamoo’s Blog entry of November 28, 2013.)
When they returned to Project Rainbow, Al and Duncan Bielek were trained intensively by Nikola Tesla. (Bielek insists that Tesla has been wrongly portrayed as a total recluse by this time.) Tesla was concerned about the amount of electrical power needed to make a battleship invisible. The brains of those onboard might become fried. Tesla told the Navy he needed more time to devise a way to shield the men from possible side effects, but the Navy wouldn’t budge on its schedule.
A March 1942 battleship test failed because Nikola Tesla deliberately sabotaged it. Tesla was certain a test of this size would jeopardize the lives of the sailors onboard. The Navy wouldn’t give Tesla more time to solve the problem (which he felt could be solved). At this point Tesla bowed out from Project Rainbow and John Von Neumann took over. (And, this might explain Tesla’s furtive hotel room existence until his death on January 7, 1943. Nikola Tesla possibly feared for his life after having sabotaged the March 1942 battleship test. On January 9th, after learning of Tesla’s death, the FBI ordered the Alien Property Custodian to seize all of Tesla’s belongings, even though Tesla was an American citizen.)
Von Neumann decided he wanted to redesign some of the equipment. This redesigning was done between March and July 1942. Tesla had been using an analog approach, 4 modulations on a stable continuous RF carrier plus modulation on the electro-magnetic generators and the fields that were being generated internally, which meant that the power out of the generators driving the coils on the ship’s deck was modulated. There were 4 modulations of different frequencies – AM modulations, not FM – for the antenna system. The antenna system required also 4 RF transmitters. This produced a quadrature type of field, which was a rotating electric field set up in a quadrature antenna which means there were 4 transmitters driving it. The electric field was rotating at Pi radians per second, 2 seconds for the electric field to do a full 360 degree rotation. The magnetic field was rotating at half that frequency. The modulations on the magnetic fields were also somewhat different. The modulations were determined so you would interlock with the electric field and the magnetic field in a certain manner so that by generating those two artificially you locked in with the gravity field. With the analog driving there was no ringing problem (on the coils) so there was no ringing dampening required on those coils. When they switched to the von Neumann approach they had to put dampening (anti-ringing) coils on the top.
After the failure of the battleship test, a destroyer escort type of ship was brought in. (This ship may have been a “shadow” USS Eldridge, not the same USS Eldridge which was officially launched on July 25, 1943. Al Bielek made this claim of a “shadow” USS Eldridge later in the interview, see next paragraph.) With the USS Eldridge, advanced electronic equipment was designed to be not on deck but in the interior. In the new approach, von Neumann wanted to use a digital “pulsed” method, in which he had a 10 percent duty cycle – 10 percent on, 90 percent off. He wanted to pulse it with very high power. Some of the equipment used was not yet publicly available then. (What they build for the military is always ahead of what the civilian sector gets.)
The two generators they built for the DE-173 (either the “shadow” USS Eldridge or otherwise) were specially designed, with 5 field coils each, driven with vacuum tubes. The special equipment was placed below deck. The DE-173 used for “Philadelphia Experiment” was built in the Brooklyn Navy Yard, before the “one of record” was built. There seem to have been two ships: an “unofficial USS Eldridge” and an “official USS Eldridge.” The “unofficial” USS Eldridge was given the same number (DE-173) and the same name. The hull for the “shadow” (unofficial) USS Eldridge was built in the summer of 1942 at the Brooklyn Navy Yard. When the hull was finished it was launched, about September 1942. This “shadow” Eldridge was towed to the Philadelphia Navy Yard, put in dry dock, and all the rest of the work (e.g., special interior machinery) was finished in dry dock. This work was done circa September-December 1942. The “shadow” Eldridge was launched from dry dock circa January 1943, and between January and June 1943 final electronics work was done on the ship.
(Al Bielek’s claim of there having been two “USS Eldridges” might explain why it is that the crew, including the captain, of the USS Eldridge which was launched on July 25, 1943 insist their ship was never in Philadelphia.)
Al and Duncan Bielek had been selected to be onboard for the experiment. A specially screened and trained “graduating class” of 33 persons (skeleton crew) was moved to the Philadelphia Navy Yard. This was not the same crew which later manned the USS Eldridge after July 25, 1943.
(For info on my source for Al Bielek’s information, see “Our Friend, The Ether (Part 26)”, Ersjdamoo’s Blog entry of November 27, 2013. https://ersjdamoo.wordpress.com/2013/11/27/our-friend-the-ether-part-26/)